Cryptocurrencies have become more and more successful as time passes, continuing beyond just Bitcoin to become an entire body of investments. Some have speculated that it will continue to evolve into a new form of currency, while others will suspect that it will be a specialized asset class for a limited set of commercial interactions.
However, you don’t need to know higher-order cryptocurrency theory to invest in this asset class, just as you don’t need to know high-level economics to invest in other asset classes. You only need to know which exchanges do the best job at protecting and growing your investment — without charging too much for the service.
Best Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Exchanges
These are the best cryptocurrency exchanges available right now. Each excels at one or more things, and our top overall pick offers the best all-around value to the broadest array of crypto investors.
Best for Beginners: Gemini
Gemini is a beginner-friendly exchange with lots of support and educational resources for novices. Its Active Trader platform holds less experienced traders’ hands a bit, though it’s still plenty sophisticated for users who know what they’re doing. And value-adds like a crypto rewards credit card and comprehensive insurance coverage offer additional incentives.
- Earn up to 8.05% interest (subject to change) on eligible crypto balances through Gemini Earn
- Access to stable coins like Gemini dollar
- Available in all U.S. states
- No minimums
- No asset transfer or withdrawal fees
- Earn up to 3% crypto rewards on purchases with the Gemini credit card
- Insurance covers balances held on the exchange and in cold storage
Best for Bitcoin and Ethereum: Coinbase
Coinbase is another novice-friendly, high-volume platform that has mastered the basics of crypto trading. That makes it ideal for people seeking exposure to — and easy trading of — mainstream coins like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- Access to more than two dozen altcoins
- A built-in crypto wallet that’s easy to access and use
- Coinbase Pro platform appeals to more advanced traders seeking lower fees
- 2% transaction fee on the standard Coinbase platform — higher than some competitors
Best for Diversified Investments: SoFi Invest
SoFi Invest is a one-stop-shop for investors of all stripes, from risk-loving DIY stock traders who love mixing and matching equities to build finely tuned portfolios to set-it-and-forget-it types who prefer a more passive approach.
No matter where you fall on the spectrum, SoFi Invest makes it easy to add crypto to your portfolio. It has more than 20 available coins right now, with more on the way.
- No trading commissions on most types of trades
- No minimum deposit or balance requirements
- No account management fees for Robo-advisor clients
Best Overall: TradeStation
TradeStation is an all-in-one investment platform that offers exchange-traded funds (ETFs), stocks, options, and countless other investment assets — including crypto. It’s the best overall value for everyday crypto investors thanks to selling points like:
- 99.999% platform uptime for their platform
- No minimum balance is required for crypto investors
- Free deposits and withdrawals
- Trading fees under 0.30% for larger accounts
Best for Sophisticated Traders: Kraken
Kraken has an unusually large selection of altcoins (more than 50 in all) and a suite of powerful research and trading tools in its Kraken Pro platform. That makes it appropriate for people who make a living off crypto trading (or day trading in general) and for business users seeking exposure to crypto.
- Transaction fees as low as 0% for large accounts
- Retail transaction fees between 0.9% and 1.5%
- Crypto futures contracts available — still rare in the space
- Unlimited deposit allowance before identity verification — get a head start on trading
- Withdrawals on demand
Best for Security: Bittrex
Bittrex doesn’t exactly compromise the trading experience in favor of enterprise-grade account security. But it does take security very seriously, to the point that trader protection is its principal selling point.
- Instantly buy and sell Bitcoin
- Access to several dozen altcoins and stablecoins
- TradingView charts feature real-time data
- Earn crypto rewards by referring friends
Best for Selection: Crypto.com
Crypto.com has more than 250 cryptocurrencies on its roster — not just Bitcoin and other heavy hitters but many altcoins and stable coins too. In fact, it has more coins than just about any other crypto platform, and more come online every month thanks to a steady flow of initial coin offerings (ICOs).
- Access highly liquid markets for less-common coins
- Using advanced execution strategies to increase the speed and accuracy of order fulfillment
- Spend with the Crypto.com Visa Card and get up to 8% back
- Earn rewards worth up to 14.5% on your crypto
Best for Low Overall Cost: Robinhood
Robinhood is the original commission-free trading platform for stocks and ETFs. It stayed true to tradition when it added cryptocurrency with a strict 0% trading fee policy for all crypto traders on the platform. You won’t find a ton of coins here, but what is available is totally free.
- No minimums
- No withdrawal or transfer fees
- Upgrade to Robinhood Gold ($5/mo) for access to premium research, Level II market data, bigger instant deposits, and more